Monday, September 16, 2013

Simple Words

"I love you forever...and EVER...and EVER.  And I'm NOT going to change my mind."

Those few simple words.  They cut me deep, specifically when my ears heard those words spoken from my son's lips.  Little does he realize what those words mean.  Neither does he regard the fact that tomorrow he may be spouting out very different word formations to the exact same recipient.

But even though tomorrow he may say "Mom, I'm not your friend anymore because you won't let me have that cookie", I cherish the loving words from before all the more.

It may seem silly, but when he said that to me the other night, it painted a picture in my mind of what I do with my own Father.  My heavenly One.

There are so many times when I tell him that I love him.  When I want to jump up and embrace him and just snuggle in close and rest.  When my heart is filled with contentment and satisfaction, and I am bubbling over.  In those times I just am sooo in love.  And being the emotional and loving Father he is, I KNOW...and especially now, I really KNOW how he feels when he hears that.  And I know what he feels when later that same day I am crying and throwing things in his general direction protesting some injustice I despise.

And yet, there he sits...gently remembering that really, deep down, it's love that I have for him, and he loves me beyond any other comprehension.  And he still smiles, and he still comforts and he simply loves me.  Although, it's really far from simple.  It's deep and complex.  And even in those moments of fitful passion he reminds me of his love.

Let me tell ya...being a parent, it is unbelievably and indescribably eye-opening.  Heart wrenching, unlimited love pouring, even wounding.  But you are stuck.  I mean, the love you have, it just grows and grows.  Of course I have moments, and I am human to the core.  But a minute after the rough moment, the love comes rushing back in and I'm head over heels again.

No comments:

Post a Comment